History is the essence of innumerable biographies.
Thomas Carlyle -- 1795-1881

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Beginnings

My purpose in starting this blog is to give voice to some of the stories of my ancestors.  A few years ago I decided to take a course at the University of Washington to improve my genealogical research skills and extend the named branches of my family tree.  I succeeded in my goal of learning new and improving old research techniques and began to collect anecdotes about my ancestors, the Blakely's.  I also began to write the story of their lives in Southwest Virginia and Eastern Tennessee before, during and after the Revolutionary War.  Since completing the program, I've continued to research the Blakely's and other branches of my family and have made a few exciting discoveries.  However, I have not been as successful in giving voice to those stories.  My hope is this blog will be a way to bring small pieces of those stories to life and, in the future, it may serve as the basis of a more complete family history.
    
When I began researching my ancestry many years ago I was most interested in the more romantic and heroic members of the family.  We had a number of Oregon pioneers in our line --some of whom had towns named after them; some who were sheriffs; and a few whose lives spanned more than a century allowing them to maintain memories of multiple generations.  As I learned more history, grew older, had children, and realized heroism may occur in quiet, everyday acts as well as in bold, daring ones, I found my curiosity grew and my subjects expanded.  Glimpses of everday life became treasures.  Rather than merely names within a family group sheet or photos in a family album, the lives of my ancestors took form in my imagination and I developed a measure of affection for them.  I haven't always approved of what I've discovered or agreed with choices they made, but understanding the context of their lives makes it easier to understand their choices and the more concrete they become to me, the easier it is to accept their human foibles.  In learning their stories the broader history of their times is enriched for me. 
   
I hope as I tell their stories, their lives will also capture your interest and add color to the black and white pages of history.
Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment